Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:41:16 -0500
From:         Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: radio install, replacement ignition switch?
Comments: To: Don Spence <dkspence@telus.net>

Wanted to let all know that I got it hooked up and jumped it to the grey ignition wire. Turns on when key is in and off when key out. Allows to sleep without engine on and still jam to the cool vibes. Thanks to all, especially Paul Guzyk. Fixdngroovin!!! Michael in San Antonio.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Don Spence <dkspence@telus.net> wrote:

> Sean > the problem with that is that the ignition needs to be "on" in > order to listen to the radio. I don't think leaving the ignition on > when the engine is not running is a good idea. Idling unnecessarily > is not not good for the environment nor for making friends at the > campsite. (neither are loud radios for that matter) The desired > situation is to be able to have the radio on without the ignition on > ( I like to be able to settle in bed, listen to the news and use the > remote to turn the radio off) and automatically off when the key is > removed, like in a "normal" vehicle. > > So, the question arises, is there another ignition switch with an > accessory position, that will swap into a vanagon? > > Anyone know of one?? > > > > On 28-Mar-08, at 7:44 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote: > > > Alternatively, you could "create" an ACC connection for the radio. > > To do > > this you will need a volt-ohm meter (multi-meter). Pull that plastic > > cover off the underside of the steering column (assuming yours isn't > > already broken like so many of ours). Test for voltage from some of > > the > > wires under there. You want to find a wire that reads about 12v > > when the > > ignition is turned on, but has 0v when the ignition is off. When you > > find that wire, you can tap into it and and connect it to the ACC wire > > for the radio, instead of connecting the power wires together. With > > this > > setup, the radio will turn off when you turn off the van (like VW > > should > > have done in the first place!). >

-- Michael in San Antonio 91GL AT 'Gringo'