Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:07:50 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon - unique head leak - not at gasket - 1 inch to
              the              left at #2 top bolt?
Comments: To: AAG - Larry Word <word_aag@COMCAST.NET>

There was just another report of leaking at a head nut on a waterboxer engine recently. Same case here ? or different ?

60K is a lot of miles. That's 5 years at 12k a year. Only things that come to my mind are the sealing surface is rough, that goop isn't' that good, or a crack there in the head. I usually end up with left over tubes of sealant from a waterboxer head gasket set, including the smaller tube of the bright yellow stuff for the head nuts. So I tried some on something else, to see what characteristics it had - didn't seem to cure or get hard or anything, so I wonder how that stuff even works at all, but it does, and I have had fine luck with it.

How about this theory- that stud wasn't screwed in the block as far as it should be, and the cap nut is bottomed out on the end of the stud, rather than pressing against the head properly ? I was appalled the first time I realized the head nuts also seal in coolant. Totally a joke. But usually they seal just fine until the next head job. Scott www.turbovans.com