Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:10:21 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: passed DE inspection :-)
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

You are correct in suggestion no emissions checking of any kind is not a good idea.

Here's an example - on the Olympic Peninsula of Western Washington - there zero smog checks or safety inspection. None, zero, zip, for all vehicles. And in places like Port Townsend most driving is about 3 or 5 miles across town. There isn't even a real freeway within an hour of driving.

So what happens is the cars get really really bad sometimes - like wheels literally falling off, steering wasted....and running terribly and obviously polluting - the 20 + year old cars. It's dangerous. I drove cars there 10 feet and I knew there were horrible things wrong wit them in the suspension/brakes and wheels - yet the owner had been driving it that way a year with no idea how unsafe or out of spec it was, and some of them even thought I was lying to them when I told them how bad their car was.

When there are smog checks.....especially when the smog checks are done by real shops and not just state smog inspection stations...then there is someone to notice the car needs other work..and that helps keep the cars in better condition somewhat.

There is very little awareness that driving a pretty worn out car - say weak brakes or shot shocks...very little awareness that anyone operating a car like that is endangering other people on the road.

Scott

In TX, no emissions is required at all. Not sure that is a good thing.

Michael.

--

Michael in San Antonio

91GL AT 'Gringo'