Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2008 06:35:10 -0700
From:         Ron Toby <ronkat81@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Mileage and Upholstry and o2 sensors

Thanks Jack! Mine is a 1.9 manual. I'm getting around 15 on the hwy at 50-55. I suppose that like one other member was saying I need to get that o2 sensor hooked back up. I gotta find out why the thing sputters and loses power when it is connected. Otherwise it runs like a sewing machine when dis-connected. Someone else had suggested that maybe it was the temp sensor. Any Ideas?

"Jack R." <jack007@comcast.net> wrote: Ron,

I get about 16 in the city and 18 on the highway... the highway mileage can get as high as 20 if you go 55mph. I have a 2.1L manual trans Westy.

Here is a survey that was done earlier on the list.

Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie, with a 2.1L motor.

The results from Mr Squirrel's Patented Vanagon Fuel Economy Survey have been entered into a Excel spreadsheet and I'm working on converting it into a wikitable to post on the wiki.

In the meantime:

Summary Results Number of respondents: 86

1.9L Vanagons with Auto Transmissions (n=7), min mpg=13, max=20, mean=17.4.

1.9L Vanagons with Manual Transmissions (n=11), min mpg=15.9, max=29, mean=20

2.1L Vanagons with ATs (n=10), min mpg=13, max=20.5, mean=17.

2.1L Vanagons with Manual Transmissions (n=26): min mpg=15.5, max=21, mean=19.5

Syncros (n=6): min mpg=15.5, max=21, mean=16.9

Others (various engine swaps, Diesels, etc.) (n=21).

Other data, such as tire sizes, models (Westy, GL, driving habits, etc.) are in the spreadsheet for those who want to analyze more deeply. of course, the data are every bit as accurate as the measuring equipment (odometers), and the observational habits and record-keeping of the Vanagon owners. If you want a copy of the .xls spreadsheet, please email me directly.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

Hello everyone, I am a new member here at the List. I am very happy to be a part of the group and hope to be able to learn alot from everyone here.

I have two questions:

One- How many miles to the gallon have some people been able get on e 1985 VW Vanagon Westy? Mine is the Weekender package. My poor fuel economy (about 14 - 15 mpg) I thought was perhaps due to my O2 sensor. I just purchased the van last Nov. and experienced sluggishness during takeoff after the van was warm. the o2 light was on so I figured that the sensor was old and replaced it. While waiting to replace it I disconnected it and no more problem with sputtering. After my new o2 arrived I replaced it and still the same problem. it is now still disconnected. There is also a pre-sensor or something on the intake. I have tried different combo's of connection of pre-sensor connected and o2 disconnected and vice versa but the o2 disconnected is the best. Help Please!!!! My mileage is low and fuel is high

Two - I was also wondering does anyone know of a source that would have the original courderoy upholstry. My seat bottoms are ragged but my backs are fine. I would love to match that tan material.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Leron 1971 VW Vanagon Westy 1985 VW Vanagon Westy

--------------------------------- Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. From: "Michael Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Mileage Survey Results Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:02:11 -0400

--------------------------------- Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.