Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:14:54 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Was: Neil's Motor...now..More Neil's motor..sort of

Not sure if this came over to the whole list after I posted to Neil, but here's some sources for all kinds of cool fabricating parts. I built my own racecar from a 90 Porsche 928 GT and had to find all kinds of weird items to make that "dentist's wife's car" into a 575 rear wheel horse power monster capable of trouncing Vipers, Vettes, Ferraris and Porsche factory built 996 Cup cars..

Check out www.racerpartswholesale.com and also do a google for Pegasus Racing as well as look at www.cachassisworks.com that one has all kinds of stuff that the Subie and the Syncro-heads might find interesting.

As far as the 50degree inline gas conversion being OK,....I have over 35,000 miles on mine in just a year and a half and it's been darn good to me. Some might say otherwise, but I'd guess the 1.8 liter gas motor swap could be done in maybe one day, if you had all the stuff at hand. It's all stuff that is readily available and cheap, the parts work together without all kinds of re-programming or re-calibrating and you can get it all on the Samba or from our Vanagon vendors. My local German Auto Wrecker in nearby Gresham, Oregon has three little 1.8liter motors, all under $800 last time I looked. I'm somewhat looking at trying to find a 1.8 Turbo on Ebay or somewhere, just to have around to mess with. If my 'Rabbit' motor ('92 Cabriolet with Digifant injection) ever poops out.....I have also found sources for aftermarket forced-induction kits for the 1.8liter 8 and 16 valve motors that are pretty highly regarded by the import tuner crowd...Around $3k, complete for those...That might ballpark into similar HP to the Subi-gons that people speak so highly of..Shoot, if you blow up a 1.8 liter, just go get another for a few hundred bucks and stick it in in a few hours....about as expensive as filling your Diesel pickup with fuel 3or 4 times or your motor home twice!.. Sure, my 1.8 liter is not gonna pass a Ferrari..but only the longest steepest windiest grades bring me under about 60 and only if I have a load aboard..It's probably a little quicker than a regular stock WBX and from what I read, more dependable (so far)... Anyhow...if you need stuff for making modifications to your rig, check the sources above.(not affiliated with any of them other than as a satisfied customer a few years back) Don Hanson