Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:58:32 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heads back on, runs OK and dies
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca>

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca> wrote:

> How was that engine running before you did the head?

It was running pretty good for a motor with a cracked head. No leaks, no oil burning, smooth running. The car has 220K miles on it without any major problems until my wife cooked the heads.

> > > Do a compression / leak down test, you will know right away if something > is > wrong with the valves. But i doubt that, you didn't talk about noise or > heavy engine shake.

It runs smoothly, if weakly, on startup. I'm getting fire at all cylinders. Today or tomorrow I will test the voltage to the injectors.

> > > Also, check the plug to see if one or 2 is wet (coolant or fuel). Plug > tell > everything.

I looked yesterday when I rechecked the valve timing, no problems.

> > > If not, you broke or didn't plug something right in the head job process.

I've done it before to replace leaking gaskets. Everything mechanical seems OL.

> > > In my experience, if a pushrod is not well align, it will pretty quickly > create an horrible noise.... i said horrible.

Right. I double-checked those anyway.

> > > Now, if none of the above, find if you have a fuel pressure probleme or a > ignition (fire) one.

I'm thinking fuel at this point, as it starts fine, than just gets weaker and weaker over ten or fifteen seconds and then dies like it's starving for fuel. I also intend to blow-back into the tank in case it's settled debris from the gas tank. The pump and filter are relatively new.

> > > Last, and sorry to say, Vanagon head job is an art in some ways. I have > fix > badly done job more than once. I can change Subi / Honda / Toyota head > gasket with my eyes close.... Any Vanagon heads job still need my full > concentration.

Right, it's more difficult than any other head I can think of. Sealing issues everywhere.

Thanks,

Jim