Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:15:00 -0600
From:         Don Spence <dkspence@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      : Heads back on, runs OK and dies
Comments: To: jim.felder@GMAIL.COM

Jim The test is described in the bentley including how to short across the relay to keep the fuel pump running for 30 seconds. You will need: 5 to six feet of hose, a small piece of hard pipe to connect the hose to the in vehicle fuel line. a suitable piece of wire to short the relay preferably with shielded alligator clips, a collection container of 1 liter size.

Remove the feed line (runs from fuel pump to pressure relief valve) at the fuel pump and attach the hose to the fuel pump with the other end securely held in the container. Remove the relay and attached the clips across the correct terminals (see bentley) . Turn on the ignition for 30 seconds only. (you should hear the pump running. ) Measure the output. (it should be at least 500 cc). if much less the pump is a dud.

If Good, Reconnect the fuel line and go to the engine compartment. Disconnect the fuel line from the "top" of the pressure control valve and using the short piece of pipe connect the piece of hose to the fuel line. repeat the test for 30 secs. Again, you should see 500 cc or more in the container. If not, the line is plugged. This was my problem last spring. I disconnected both ends of the fuel line and used my compressor to "blow' out the line. No problems since.

Good luck

if you don't have the bentley pmail me And I will Quote the info to you. Cheers Don