Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:47:46 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: A little help (trouble shoot, value)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

First, without actually seeing the van yourself nothing but nothing really counts. You can't count on the owner knowing anything. You will know 400 % more begin at the van in person. I've talked to people about their car or van situation for two hours, And in 4 minutes knew 500 % more than I did from talking to them.

Clutch hydraulics is not the first thing that jumps into my mind - she suppossidlyh the other gears work. Sorry to be cincical, but MANY vanagon owners don't even know how to the check the brake fluid - which is the clutch hyd. Fluid of course. Seriously. It's like 'huh?'

Where it the poor thing ? I'm afeered these two pieces of info are the tip of the iceberg, and very neglected ice burg, but I also, at the right price and location would buy it. Scott

re: tranny

Obviously you're going on what she said.

I'd guess that it's clutch hydraulics. Unless it happened over a long period of time, then it could be the clutch itself (normal wear hopefully)

As for rust hole, I'd have a good look under the front window seal. For me, that would make a Huge difference in what I offered.

As for any lowball offers you may consider giving, have no fear in making them. Especially since she called you. Sounds like she wants it gone.

Neil.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM, John Runberg <jrunberg@mac.com> wrote: > Got a call from a lady w/ an '87 Westy basically wanting to unload > it. Could use list advice on value since condition isn't perfect, and > it's got a trannie prob that I've never faced before. > > Problem: > Van wouldn't go into reverse, but all other gears. then no first, now > nothing. Sound like linkage, but I've never had problems with that. > Thoughts? > > Condition: > 87 full westy, nice interior. Rust in the seams and dime sized hole > on the front. Haven't seen it in person yet so don't know much more. > As I said, she sounds like she just wants to unload and I'm not > motivated to offer more than salvage value considering the rust. > > For me, that's maybe in the range of $1500 +/-. I'm sure she could do > better on eb*y, but what say you? > > john >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.1/1348 - Release Date: 3/28/2008 10:58 AM