Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2008 21:37:23 -0400
From:         Peter Young <pyjme@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: mystery floor attatchment
Comments: To: vidublu@gmail.com

Neil, My subfloor had no mold - in fact it looked almost like brand new plywood! I knew it was the original, however, because it still extends under the cabinets and rear seat that I know for a fact have never been removed (including by me). Because there was no mold, I didn't put anything under the floor because I wasn't worried about moisture. Here are the layers of my floor: Metal body, then the OEM plywood, then the Ikea flooring. That's all there is to it! I also plan to eventually remove my flooring and possibly all the cabinets to do what you are talking about with the Dynamat, so the Ikea flooring not being glued down will hopefully mean that I can reinstall it when I am done. My van is a little louder now than when it was carpeted, but not by much. I think the floating floor design is better at attenuating sound than if I had glued or otherwise attached the floor. My front area is still carpeted with the GoWesty floor mats over it- the double stick tape is really only holding against the metal passenger heat duct face plate on that wall, which is fine because it is pretty firmly stuck to the flooring itself.

Another thing I have heard is that there is an inexpensive alternative to Dynamat that is just as effective. The product is called "Peel & Seal" and is intended to be used as a roof membrane repair material. It costs many many times less than Dynamat, and is of similar construction: a mylar type material on top of a rubber layer with an adhesive backing. It is available in rolls that are as small as 6" wide to as big as 36" wide. As a bonus, the mylar covering would probably aid the insulation just a little by reflecting the little heat energy that gets through the insulation back into the van. I got the idea for this from this link:

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/vanagon/hacks.htm

Here is a current price for the material - $43.95 for a 12"x33.5' roll! (found at this link)

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=540122

The website I got the idea from also said that the membrane is available at home improvement stores like Lowes or HDepot. Good luck! And if you use the Peel & Seal, let me know how it turns out...

Peter

From: Neil Crawford <vidublu@gmail.com> To: pyjme@aol.com Sent: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 8:00 am Subject: Re: mystery floor attatchment

Wow, I was just at HDepot y'day and I ran across some vinyl for $20.? A bunch of 6x8 remnants and had decided to do that because of the cost savings.? Your's is a better idea since I'll have to buy some tools either way.? I just read benny boy's long rant on a previous thread and saw he used Dynamat to absorb sound.? How's your road noise now?? Before?? I've recently been told DMat is a good investment but expensive.

?

So, you didn't remove your rear seat to install it.? Hmmm.? I'm thinking of doing that so I can easily install some kind of sound dampening material behind and below it.? Can't believe they used carpet padding originally.? What a joke.? Also, I suspect my entire subfloor is full of mold and possibly even wet, in places.

?

Have you ever removed your cabinets?? Sounds like you did just about what I plan to do.

?

Do you still have carpet in the fwd area?? I assume you mean the fwd wall is not carpeted if you stuck tape to it to affix the trim, correct?? Is that wall rubber?

?

What do you have under the lam if you don't have the undelayments?? Subfloor of 3/8" plywood?? Please tell me what is underneath from the metal upward.

?

Looks like IKEA is out of everything but one shade of the stock you used.? We just got a new store here and I'll go check it out.

?

Thanks!

?