Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:39:45 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: This GoWesty is really starting to annoy me....
Comments: To: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

Mmm... I have a lot to say about that, but i won't say too much.

Nobody here can judge the GoWesty price, you didn't work on those van. Even i I agree that it seem extrem at first to sell a van 90K! But it seem that they have customers and good for them... so who care if they are expensive! That is NOT your business/problem! Since i started my shop, i went that way, restoration.... and i know better today about time invested.

It's a free country, you can sell anything for the price you want. People pay way more crazy price for stupid thing so please!!! I sometime feel there

is a lot of jealous peoples on this list!

Another thing, this list is here to help mostly folks that want to try working themself on their vans... and i guess, some that are... let's say...

more on a budjet, and that is more than fine, but don't judge the one that HAVE money and wan to keep their van for ever!

Now, just go buy or find a similar van on the market... well, there is none!

So there is NO équivalent that mean you can't compare prices!!!!!!!!!!

My van cost me 1500, i havested 20+K on it, cost price, so let say retail-27-30k in part + 300 hours of labor at 45$ per hour, let say 14K. So,

we are at around 36-38K + gadget, that seem a fair price for a fully restored 2WD Vanagon. In my case, i have the pictures to proove it, and that

is a big difference. Still, i buy A LOT from GoWesty and i respect them a lot for being there!!!!! http://www.benplace.com/85westy2.htm

Now, i'm finishing this one this week: http://www.benplace.com/fabian.htm

Total cost should be around 24,000$ (paint job / body work, intérior fully

restored, new 2007 Subaru 2.5L conversion with 1000miles on it) + the price of the value of that van before restoration, let say 6 to 8K. So that van as

a value of around 30K. It's not even a full camper... so that guy must be crazy??? Sure....

Now, my next big project is a US van from Colorado... yea, i'm in Montreal! This guy is a member here so be carefull! It's an 87 Syncro. We (Hans from Vanaru and me) have kind of stolen that project from GoWesty... but i won't say more. This van is in great condition, very nice van to restored, our goal and the customer goal is to give this van a new life and that for the next 20 years. So it's a big project. Intérior is in perfect shape, just need a very deep cleaning

-SVX 6cyl Engine -New upgraded Transmission and axles -New/rebuilt Syncro system with added diff lock -New everything underneat (Suspension, steering, big brake....) -New paint job with lower black stripe -Underneat coating and a lot more stuff.

You will all be able to folllow that project day by day at this webpage: http://www.benplace.com/87_syncro1.htm

I will see if i say one day the total restoration price.... not sure yet and

anyway.... who frigging care! it's NOT your van or money!

So if a guy love his van and he want to keep it for ever... well, if he feel

like investing a lot on it... GOOD FOR HIM!!!! (and for me... he he he).

All my life i sold... pleasure! Before, part time i had hobby shop, i was selling 4000$ RC helicopter to weekend spending folks who had no idea how to

fly those... i had warned them of the difculty, they didn't care... next monday, they had crash that helicopter behond repair.

That is crazy investment!

So please... have better aguments!

Ho, a last thing, i dare anyone here to come work with me for 10 days in a row, 10 to 12 hours per day... working in the dust, grease... cuting, burning, bruising and banging yourself all the time. You may now understand the time, energy invested by folk who restore car/vans.

Shit, i have to charge more...

Ben ( i still have some corruptor blood... for the old timer here) http://www.benplace.com/