Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:50:21 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: nifty looking little trailer
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@charter.net>

Ball hitches could work. Hadn't considered that. They're not 'bearings' in the sense that a real ball bearing or something would be, but they are designed for some up-down pivoting, so they could work, and that's how you could uncouple it too - good thinking !

Those big side tents, I think they'd be best for serious long term camping, like weeks at a time, and not night-to-night normal car camping. Quick deployment and take-down are one of the westy's strong suites. And they don't have much storage space in them at all I don't think. 'socks in the drawer' type storage is what I call it. I'm kinda gear and equipment intensive, so 'room for stuff' is important. If I saw a good deal on a used pivoting single wheel, I'm sure I'd grab it. Shoot, such a system has the potential to be simple, rugged, basic, very useful, unobtrusive, light, etc. - all the things you'd want in a good design. Now I want to make one !

-----Original Message----- From: Mike [mailto:mbucchino@charter.net] Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:37 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Re: nifty looking little trailer

Many people buy one of those big Westfalia 2-room side tents, only to find

that when it's stored inside, it ends up taking up so much valuable space, that they end up selling it. This type of set-up would be great for that, too. The tow loop hook-up sounds like a great idea. Maybe two 1 7/8" tow ball hitches?

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Daniel - Shazam" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:17 PM Subject: Re: nifty looking little trailer

Re digitizing a pic, The lowest tech crudest way that works somewhat - just take a picture of the picture with your digital camera. There's even a 'copy' mode in some of them.

I've always wanted to do the single wheel trailer thing - huge gain in storage volume with very, very little penalty. Wouldn't be hard to fab the bumper part at all, mainly need to large bearings, I could use regular 'captured ball' rear axle ball bearings even. The single 'self-castoring' wheel, that's best bought I think. And keep it pretty small/light, 500 lbs capacity max, for example. Even 300 lbs of heavy duty camping gear is a lot. Scott