Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:00:07 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust valve leak on fresh top end rebuild-I need a little
              advice
Comments: To: "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@GNB.CA>

If it hasn't run yet, I wouldn't pay too much atttetnion , really ! If you had this after sayh 1,000 miles, that might be something then to think about. I can not emphasize enough, and have always noticed how much cars and engines are designed and built for being operated ! like, duh, but they are NOT designed for sitting around. And for sure, on an engine, it almost DEPENDS on running to seal properly. I mean, when there's no combustion chamber, the rings aren't being pushed out against the cylinder walls, and if the rings and pistons haven't slid up and down the cylinder walls a few gajillion times.......how can they really be seated ? What is your break in oil plan ? I see OVER and OVER that people try to 'do the really best thing" by spending the most on something, like synthetic oil right from zero miles ( totallyh the WRONG thing to do ! ) and even using premium fuel, another very wrong thing to do, seriously. Use mid-grade or regular, but not premium.

I break 'em in a 30W or 40W non-detergent oil even, or lacking that, 30 W or 40W Heavy Duty. Or maybe a normal 15W 40, but nothing fancy. And change the oil twice even in the first 1,000 miles. But bottom line, nothing counts until it's been running a bit. Really. Scott