Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:56:53 -0800
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '81.5 Diesel 1.6, Won't start
Comments: cc: vidublu@gmail.com

Neil,

Didn't you say one of the cylinders only read 200 psi? Not good! The last time it ran, did it smoke a lot? Assuming you get it to start again, check valve clearances. In the meantime, to check and see whether or not you've got fuel, crack open one of the injector lines at the top of whichever injector is easiest to get to, crank engine over a couple of times, and check for fuel dripping from the loose fitting. If no fuel at injector, next thing I'd check is the fuel shut-off solenoid. If I was sure it was getting fuel, I'd check the glow plugs. You should be able to hear a click when turning on the key, and another click when the relay shuts off, around 20 seconds later, IIRC, depending on temperature. If no click, put a voltmeter on one of the glow plug terminals, when you turn on the key, you should have voltage. If after a couple of cycles of turning the key on and off you can't feel any heat on the glow plug body, remove the glow plug wires and check for continuity with your VOM. Or take a jumper wire from the battery and use it to touch the glow plug terminal - - this should result in a healthy blue spark. If the glow plugs check out, suspect the glow plug relay. If it's not working, throw it in the nearest trash can and install a push button system, then you won't have to worry about the relay any more.

Hope this helps - - and don't leave the key on till the battery dies, you'll just shorten the life of your battery.

Gary

'82 GL Diesel