Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:19:01 -0700
From:         Brendan Slevin <totorovan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trip report and huge thanks to Scott! LONG

Well we did a smallish road trip leaving Thursday afternoon and returning Monday afternoon-covering about 450 miles.

The Wife, 10yo boy child, 6yo girl child, 15 month old girl child and I left home--Bend, Oregon--for Umpqua Hot Springs on Thursday afternoon. Having heard that the last two miles of road to the hot springs was still treacherously snowy, we didn't have high hopes of getting to them. After some icy, hard pack snow patches near crater lake we came down into the Tokatee area and turned up the road to Umpqua. Totoro was running great and still had the snow tires on it but when we got to the turn off we could see there was no way through that much snow with our van. A syncro with chains would be no issue.

Turning around, we headed for an RV park about 16 more miles toward Roseburg. We had thought of camping near Tokatee but with only our small electric space heater, we would've been quite cold. We got to the park and it wasn't too scary. A bit back woodsy but still fine. It was 15 bucks since they weren't full by any means and we were right near the bathrooms and super hot showers. I built a fire and heated up some soup and brought it into the van where we had set up our small folding table in the middle and flipped around the driver and passenger seats. It was quite cozy with the heater on. We made up the beds and put on Benny and Joon on the dvd player, with the sound running through the Ipod transmitter to the van stereo. In the morning it was snowing hard. Thick, sopping wet valley snow. There was already about an inch on the ground and it was not stopping. We cooked our oat meal and made coffee in the van.

We got on the road toward Roseburg thinking that we'd be out of the snow soon. We had to get below 1000 feet before it turned to all rain and wasn't piles of slush on the road. South of Roseburg on I-5 the van started acting up. It was doing the no power/cutting out thing over 3500 rpm which made it very frustrating on that stretch. Down hill was fine-no load on the engine but you seem to go up a hill or pass every 3 miles until Gold Hill, I could barley make 35 miles per hour. It was getting worse so we pulled off to see the Vortex. They were closed due to the intense rain/sleet they were getting. We headed slowly back to Gold Hill by the time he got there I could start out in first and get going but when I shifted to second I couldn't give it any gas or it would die out and sputter. This has all happend before, and it's always when its wet out. I called Scott because I remembered he was down in this area. He had a few suggestions that I tried. It seemed to get better for about a mile after wd-40ing some things on the engine and re-seating some connections. But soon it was back to it's old tricks.

We limped along back roads into Medford where our friend lives. We were meeting her around 6:00pm and it was about 3. I called Scott again and stopped by his place. We worked on the van for about three hours testing different theories and finally it was my son who figured it out. The way the van was acting it felt like, under load, it was starved for fuel. Scott hung a fuel pressure gauge up in the back but I couldn't read it in the mirror while driving. My son sat in the back and we went for a drive. It was reading normal at idle and when I was getting out the to main road but as soon as I tried to accelerate he said DAD! DAD! It's dropping! It's at the bottom! Zero! (He was very excited, as was I.) I limped back to Scott's and changed the fuel filter. We took it out again and this time the van felt way stronger than it ever has. My son was so excited as he read the gauge. It's not dropping, DAD! It's staying at the 2!! We got some fuel drying additves and a new tank of gas and it ran great. The old filter was full of water rust and dirt. I think I'll be needing a new tank sometime in the near future.

So thank you again, Scott. Without you, we'd still be stuck down there in some Joe blow Garage waiting for parts or for Joe Blow to figure it out.

We headed to our friend's house and then on to some killer pizza at Kalidescope in Medford. I had a great big mug of IPA from some local brewery. After staying the night at her house, we woke up and headed to Ashland, a town I've never been. It was great. We walked around and saw some shops and Lithia Park and went to a wonderful natural food co-op. We got a hotel that night and then woke up and drove to Jacksonville--had great margaritas there--and then back to the Oregon Vortex, this time they were open. It was pretty strange there. We headed on to Stewart State Park about 60 miles away from Crater Lake. We were one of four groups in the whole huge campground. It was a bit chilly but very sunny that afternoon. When we woke up it was 26 outside and 74 inside. We drove back Monday afternoon, stopping by Sunriver so I could put in about 40 minutes of work and then on to the new Trader Joe's that opened in Bend while we were gone.

All in all a wonderful trip. Thank you again, Scott.

Now I back to pulling the studs out of my tires. I got the two front tires done last night, I'll do the rears today.

Brendan Slevin 84 GL Totoro Bend, Oregon