Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:39:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air-cooled fuel pump ...
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Most likely, if your air-cooled vanagaon is like later ones, the ground wire for the fuel pump goes a few inches to a screw screwed into the frame, and easy spot to get corroded. Also low voltage to your pump from the relay pops into my mind. Also tired pump, that can run ok of a good 'hot wire' or other battery, but not off the signal from the double relay. I found two vanagons in two days recently, with fuel filters full of junk , including water, rust, and shiny metal particles. I replace the fuel filter on each van, and the fuel pump on one of them. I've been doing it for several decades - emptying fuel filter out backwards on a clean dish to inspect what's in them. This is SO USEUFL I can't say it enough. I also get the impression that no one ever does it, but you must if you want any idea about the health of your fuel pump, fuel tank, the fuel itself. That one van must have had two full qts. of water in its gas tank , there was so much water in the fuel filter. Pumps don't go from perfect to dead in one step either, they get weaker slowly for a long period of time. Scott www.turbovans.com