Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:05:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air-cooled fuel pump ...
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

I didn't look in the book...... But if it is the case, add a new ground wire for the pump, right by the pump !

I suspect that air-cooled vnaaogns will have weaker gournds in general, compared to later water-cooled vanagons, as I notice the later vans have better gournds on them. On an air-cooled where it's push-on spade connectors for fuel injection grounds, it's screw and eye terminals on the next model up, the 1.9 wbxr. I notice that where it's a since wire temp sensor for the ECU on air-cooled vanaongs, it's a two wire connector with the return/ground for the signal being built into the harness, and like that on 2.1's too. Any time you see a company upgrade something like this, that tells you the 'old way' was weak. VW tradiationally has low cost and cheap wiring, and they gradually improve it over the years, in small ways like this. On Subaru engine conversions, I put all kinds of redundant grounds on them for the fuel injection harness. Grounds deteriorate with age too, corrosion builds up. There is a way to measure in milivolts, the 'voltage drop' across a ground connection. It should never exceed about 300 kilovolts. There may be vanagon people who know all kinds of things electronically about how things work, but they may not be reading profession car repair trade magazines, which is where I get stuff like this 300 millivolts max allowable on a ground connection. Scott turbovans

-----Original Message----- From: neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 1:55 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Air-cooled fuel pump ...

So the earlier models have the ground running to the front by fuse panel as per Bentley?

Or did I read Bentley wrong?

(soon to be former "air cooled mind is dying to know --- ;^)

IIRC, on mine, the FP ground wire is located in the engine bay. As you suggest.

('81 Canadian model air cooled) Westy.

Neil.

On 4/4/08, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > Most likely, if your air-cooled vanagaon is like later ones, the ground wire > for the fuel pump goes a few inches to a screw screwed into the frame, and > easy spot to get corroded.

snip

> Scott > www.turbovans.com > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Zoltan Kuthy > Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 11:34 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Air-cooled fuel pump ... > > ... is not running, but the engine turns over nicely. Now, if I apply juice > to it, I can start the car. > It does not help to change the double relay. Air-cooled, manual. > Is it some ground somewhere? > Zoltan > Also, I was trying to get on the Type2 list, but I could not establish > membership. Any new way? > > > > -- > > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG. > Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.5/1359 - Release Date: 4/4/2008 > 8:23 AM >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/