Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 2008 18:57:23 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Pressure Light on-need help! (dealer cant fix it)
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@gmail.com>

Michael Sullivan asked me 'so what's your diagnosis? " , and I wrote this back :

well, not really enough info yet.

But, ifi the oil pressure is truly good, and it should be at 74 K miles,

And wiring checks out, naturally one thinks of the DOPS ,

Or possibly the printed circuit,

But there totally is not enough info for a 'diagnosis' yet.

I'll tell you Michael, thousands of times I have talked to people about a car problem for hours, and once I see the car, even in 10 minutes sometimes I've understood and known WAY more about what's going on than from just talking.

ANYTHING could be going on - some stereo installer ran a drill bit into a wire somewhere, or burglar alarm installer.

Thousands of things could be going on that are not revealed yet.

And I commonly work on cars AFTER other shops failed to fix them.

I work on Subaru engine conversions after other shops of screwed them up.

I can't tell you how much bad work I see- about 60 % of the time even.

Here's a typical deal - vanagon barely running.

And a shop or two had worked on it already.

I ask about the fuel filter.

The guy says one shop checked it and it's not clogged up.

I ask 'did they empty it out backwards and check for what's in it ?"

No, OF COURSE they did not. I have yet to hear of anyone smart enough to do this, or learn from me to do this, but there MUST be a few others doing it - or I sure hope !

So I empty out his semi-restricted fuel filter backwards ( and this is after we tried a different air flow meter and did a few other tests on the fuel injection part of this van, and it would only go about 25 mph when it was having it's problem )

If find shiny metal particles inside the fuel filter.

Those can only come from a fuel pump to me.

The fuel pump sure appears to be original - ( 87 Vanagon btw ) has undercoating on it, and original type crimp hose clamps.

I put on a new fuel filter and a good used fuel pump I had around.

Problem is totally fixed. I also identified dead oxygen sensor ( though it ran strongly with that dead, just got horrible gas mileage ) and put a new one of those on there.

And ..the reason I told this story was to illustrate that there is a lot of incompetence out there.

And there also isn't enough info given yet to really nail down his problem - the oil buzzer thing.

In my world, if I thought his DOPS was causing the problem, I'd just pop on another known-good instrument cluster from one of my other vanagons, for a first test.

Nothing hard about that, but many car shops don't have several vanagons to grab parts from for testing purposes.

About this method of 'substitute and bypass' ....when I was in the Air Force as an avionics tech on a jet interceptor- that's exactly what we did to fix those things ...which needed CONSTANT attention....first we had a truck full of known good and tested electronic boxes, or modules, and when the radar scope didn't look right, we popped in a 'display' module from the truck , sometimes with the jet engine screaming and the pilot at the controls....but that's what we had, dozens and dozens of tested and ready to go known good units to try on the bird. Got 'em fixed that way most of the time.

In addition, there was a whole system mock up in a building....and we'd test out our suspected faulty units on that system, to confirm the suspected unit was the problem. Then people that actually soldered on things and changed capacitors and what-not would to the actual unit electronic repair.

This method works DAMN GOOD !

It's a shame VW dealerships don't even have access to this method. And in general, the trend in automotive diagnostics is hook a vag-com to it, or other diagnostic software interface, and let it tell you where the problem is, ....which is sure NOT an infallible system. It'll even lead you in the wrong direction at times.

( and isn't this typical human silly Human Dysfunctionality- the idea was to make repair diagnostics easier - but I'm not sure that's really what is actually happening in the automotive world.in newer cars. Cars right around the mid to late 80's to early 90's are just right - not too crazy complex, but plenty modern enough. )

And so often good ole plain low tech methods are not used, which is a real shame.

Could tell 10,000 stories like this one - real briefly, vanagon shop calls up asking some esoteric way of accessing code info. I ask what the problem is, they tell me the work they just did. I ask 'did you get the right one in the right place?' ..right away , cause it's an easy mistake to do. Two weeks later I hear that it was exactly what I said, and they had their noses down into the weirdest deepest stuff. And it sounded to me like they spent quite a few hours on it, but the repair, and the solution were both very basic and very easy. And the very first words out of my mouth.- they had two devices swapped from where they each correctly belong, but it took them days , evidently, of messing around to find the very simple solution, which was even offered to them when they called ! . Low tech is very often good tech !

So I know I could fix this van. Sometimes it takes me a long time to get the weird ones. And there have been cars that have defined being fixed even by special technicians that factories send out to fix the problems that the dealer techs can't fix. There is such a thing as an absolutely unsolvable car problem....very rare though , mostly the solution is just very illusive in a difficult case. And the more ways you have to utilize basic 'substitute and bypass' as a diagnostic strategy, the easier it is. Pretty sure I mentioned some vanagon 'rescues' recently : two days, two limping vanagons, two semi-emergency while-you-wait situations, two successful ' diagnosis and repairs.' Two happy vans and two happy van owners. A win-win all around.

Scott

www.turbovans.com <http://www.turbovans.com/>

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Sullivan [mailto:sandwichhead@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 5:48 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Light on-need help! (dealer cant fix it)

Scott...so what's YOUR diagnosis?