Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:26:47 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need inspiration. Lacking motivation on my engine conversion
              (Warning! Severe Whining Within! --- ;^)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

I agree, great help Scott! I've never done a conversion (yet....), but your words of advice, based on lots of experience, are an inspiration to all of us. Don't get lost in the overwhelming aspects of the whole project, just take it logical step at a time. I also agree with the idea that, if one snag is bogging you down too heavily, take a vacation from that and start working on another needed section of the project. I often got to sleep with a problem on the brain and wake up with the solution in the morning. It's the time and distance that can make all the difference. Not too much time, though, or it goes so far on the back burner, that it's eventually dropped entirely. Not the desired result when there's so much time, energy and money invested up to this point. Remember the drawing in the Idiot Manual, where the guy's in bed with the engine 'parts explosion' bubble above his head? That's me! John Muir gives some good advice, regarding not losing heart halfway to completion and "stick-to-it-iveness"! His words of guidance served as an inspiration to me in my youth. That book is still awesome! Hope you can keep it all together and keep moving. To para-phrase someone else's advice; the journey of 1000 miles is completed one step at a time!

HTH,

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 12:00 AM Subject: Re: Need inspiration. Lacking motivation on my engine conversion (Warning! Severe Whining Within! --- ;^)

> All good advice Scott and MUCH appreciated. > > True to my nature I get pretty focused. Overly so in some ways. "Step > at a time. Step at a time. Focus. Gotta get the ____ done". My > determination is good in a way, but can work against me in some ways > too. You're right. I should move on to different aspects and see if > the engine even fires up. I bought it from a reliable source, so it > should. Regardless, as you say, it would be inspiring to hear it run > and bring energy into this project.

Look! trimmed!