Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:27:04 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I've never heard of this problem although anything is possible as these vans age. There are no rebuild parts available or listed in the ETKA for the manual rack. Not sure if a new manual rack is available from the dealer but my aftermarket sources are totally dry. So I guess it is used rack or nothing.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Scott Daniel - Shazam wrote: > If it is the inner end of the tie rod that's shot, fine, that's a > replaceable part. > What I've found though, on one vanagon of mine, is that the outer end of the > steering rack was shot. > There 'might' be a bushing there.......but inboard of where the tie rod is, > .....the actual linear gear of the rack is supported at both outer > ends......and I think it's a bushing there, can't imagine it would ride in > bare aluminum. > > The guy just wrote that his tie rod is fine. Sounds like a typical case of > someone jumping to a conclusion about a part. > > If his problem is inboard of the inner end of the tie rod like it seems he > is explaining, I have not heard of any rebuilt kit for the aluminum housing > of the rack, though there could be one or parts for it in the parts system. > > Perhaps a member handy with the ETKA can look and see if the rack body has > replaceable bushings at the end. > > As far as I know the repair is a good used steering rack, which isn't that > big a deal. > This van I have, that a big heavy person ruined by *jerking* the steering > during a year and half period - when I get my van back, I notice two solid > inches of play at the steering wheel rim, and vanagons seldom do that. I > figured it would be the U-joint under there or rubber drive disc that was > shot - nope, it was the outer ends of the rack, as I've described above - > about almost a quarter inch vertical play there, and most definitely nothing > to do with the tie rods in any way. > Scott > turbovans > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Ken Wilford > Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 5:29 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? > > It sounds like the tie rod itself is actually the part that is shot. > The end that is on the rack side is a ball and socket joint that can > wear out. Buying a new tie rod and installing it should fix the > problem. We sell these for $65 and they are German and include a tie > rod end as well. I would also replace the boot at the same time. We > have them for $8. The part number for the tie rod assembly is > 251419803. Let me know if I can help you further, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > > > jbclem1 wrote: > >> I have a 1983 Westphalia with a manual (not power) steering rack. There's >> > a lot of play on the passenger side, and the > >> play is coming from a point just inside the rack itself, where the >> > passenger side tie rod goes into the steering rack > >> body. I can grab the tie rod and move it up and down right at the point >> > where it disappears into the steering rack > >> body. The tie rod end itself is fine, no play, and easy to replace if it >> > does go bad. > >> It doesn't look like it woud be hard to rebuilt if I could find the >> > part(s). And some instructions also. Has anyone > >> tried this, could someone direct me to instructions? I know it's not that >> > hard to find information and parts for the > >> power steering racks, but the manual ones seem to be in a different >> > category. > >> John >> >> >> > > >