Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:55:22 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: THANKS List! (and my .02 for engine conversion newbies)

On 5 Apr 2008 at 13:43, neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> I have learned that setting a "due date" on my project was a bad idea. > But, if you have to set a "due date", and even if you've studied the > hell out it and think you know what's involved, double the amount of > time you ballpark. But if possible, don't set a date. Just set the > goal of seeing it running, and take consistent steps to get it there.

Sorry, I've only been following your threads sporadically, but here's my experiences:

I am picky, and take a long time thinking about things before actually doing them. I thought about a TD conversion for many years (at least 5) since getting our '88 Westy in '96. I knew setting a deadline wouldn't work - large project deadlines don't work for me. I was not prepared to have the van out of order during the summer. When a deal on an '82 diesel Westy came up, I suddenly had some options - I could convert one van, while camping in the other, even if it took 2 years to complete. As it turned out, another deal on an '83 5 speed trans + diesel conv pieces came up a few months later, which helped me decide which van to keep - the '88. So we camped a full year in the '82 while I puttered away on a full rebuild of the TD engine to go into the '88. The year with the '82 was one of our best camping seasons so far - that van had real character. :-)

> Although it depends on the type of conversion you're doing, give your > budget a margin of safety. Maybe half more? I found that once I got > "into it" there were things I felt would be wise to replace. I hadn't > budgeted for these things.

Not doing those things when you find them is usually false economy - for example, I opted to take a chance on the used 5 speed, and drove it for one season, only to have to get it rebuilt by Daryl at AA for the 4-5 slider hub issue. Oh well. Those who know how many times I've pulled the trans in this van might think I have a fetish for this job. I most definitely do not.

> Do not have any expectations or immediate need "riding on" the > project. I had the need, and time line, of going camping with it > before work started. Bad idea.

This is where a spare van comes in handy... :-)

> Just have the end result of seeing and hearing it run properly in > mind. Beyond that, it's "cake". "Cake" that you can eat most any time > after it's done!

All good advice, good luck on completing your project! Mine is still waiting on the icing, such as intercooler, air-oil cooler, etc.

Shawn Wright http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA