Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Apr 2008 12:36:04 -0600
From:         George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA>
Subject:      Re: insulating against road noise
Comments: To: WHalsey@SYA.ORG

Woody asked;

>>Ken also informed me that rubberized "ice and water shield" used on >>roofs is essentially the same product as the adhesive, rubber >>soundproofing material sold on the internet. I have plenty of that lying >>around after a roofing project on my house, and wonder if anyone has had >>good luck installing it. How well does it stick? Do you have to warm it >>up before applying? Does it really absorb road noise? Has anyone tried >>applying more than one layer? >>Finally, is there any difference between the white "Kool Patch" and the >>black?

There are two main types of "ice and water protector". One type has the rubberize asphalt applied to a fibreglass or polyester mat and is usually sanded on the top surface, this type is not as good for automotive purposes because the mat makes it less formable. The other type has the rubberized asphalt applied to a plastic carrier, this type is more easily formed to match the contours of your car. I used the second type to line the driver side battery box on my van. I made sure that the metal was as clean as possible and used a heat gun to help form the strips of membrane to fit the shape of the box. I started with the membrane at room temperature and the applied heat to help match the contours of the box. You can also use the heat to melt and seal the edges of the strips together. Too much heat will melt the membrane and make a mess. Multiple layers are OK. I am not familiar with the Kool Patch product, tear a piece and see if it has a fibreglass mat inside.

George '85 Westfalia