Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:16:27 -0500
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      91 instrument cluster, oil pressure led

Howdy List,

I retrofitted the instrument cluster from a 91 passenger van into my '83 air cooled westy. All is good with the retrofit,, except for the oil pressure led/lead. I disconnected the ground for the buzzer and all, so no problem there but what has happened is that after wiring things up following the great guide at old volks home:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/late_van_cluster_install.pdf

I fried my dual output oil pressure sender. The reason that it was fried (or at least sauteed) is that the wire that runs from the instrument cluster to the sender is now hot or has voltage. I disconnected the wire from the sender and the on the dash light doesn't come on at all (which is good for now). I plan to replace the sender so that my oil pressure guage will work again but would also like to wire up the in dash oil pressure light as well. Does anyone know if this wire should have voltage at the oil pressure sender or if there is a problem with my cluster or wiring? Before this cluster change my oil pressure led and gauge both worked great.

Thanks for any help,

Jonathan Poole