Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:29:30 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon Gas Eng. - Block's stud failure - details
              acoming....
Comments: To: AAG - Larry Word <word_aag@comcast.net>

Have you looked here?

http://benplace.com/vw2.htm

His site has a lot of useful info, and I'll bet there's some answers to your questions.

Neil.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:09 AM, AAG - Larry Word <word_aag@comcast.net> wrote: > Group's advise thus far: (1) determine true cause of stud failure - Either heat or corroision or pre-load issues would likely indicate changing the full set. > > (2) Always replace the stud cap nuts - the nut you torque to "set head gasket"....WHY always replace? The studs have visible corrison. > > (3) Piston rings really do not wear - they loose tension, break, get stuck etc. > > (4) Piston wear is most likely to occur in the ring lands on the pistons. > > (5) If you're replacing the rings you probably should hone cylinders trying to avoid piston slap - Can anyone explain this further? (6) New rings will set within old cylinder jugs, even without honing - Can anyone attest to this fact(s)? Tells of what you did? > > (7) Takes time to properly hone cylinders, else better off adding a new set of cylinders - at that point you should do both sides of engine. > > > > Is there a trick to (a) removing the wrist pins that hold pistons to rod in this Vanagon engine - I've done aircooled engine but never Vanagon's? > > (b) re-installing the new ring set (3 rings in my case) onto the old pistons > > -Art of inspecting and clean the ring lands on the piston - PLEASE ADVISE! > > > > Sorry to "scream" but I really don't want to get this wrong - Thanks in advance for group's collective wisdom, I'm always impressed.... > > > > Have a good day! > > Larry Word > Ga. >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/