Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:56:39 -0700
From:         Ron Toby <ronkat81@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bearings for alternator and two tanks
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>

MIke, Yeah I hope I won't have to. However the possibility remains that is what I'll be forced to do. I thought that I would include the numbers off of the altenator just in case it may help someone to in turn help me. The numbers are as follows: Top line 0 120 469 631 712 Below that N1 (then a arrow) 14v34/90A Final Line 176903 027 I assume the 90a is for 90 amps and the arrow is the turning direction. Directly below the 90a there is a small oval with 20 in it.

Now out of curiosity there are two translucent tanks, one under each wheel well that I have no idea what they are for. If they are the reserve gas tank, which I would doubt they would be although I very well could be wrong, then it would seem that they are in a dangerous position as a hazard for a rock to puncture them. Could they be a vaccum tank setup? Now perhaps when I was asking about my fuel mileage and someone pointed out fuel leaks it non intentionally omitted that I do have a fuel leak in the neck or perhaps the joint of the neck of the fuel tank and the filler. Perhaps it also could be in those vaccum lines if they are connected to the gas tank or lines. I will try to drop it down sometime this week and find out.

Thanks everyone! Keep on VW'ing Ron

Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net> wrote: If no one knows the answer, Ron, then I'm sure you could take the slightly longer way around and remove the bearings from your alternator and go shopping with the old ones in hand. If the shop truly has all kinds of bearings, they should be able to fix you up.

Mike

Ron Toby wrote: > Hi Does anyone know what size bearings are needed in a alternator for a 85 vanagon? It is a weekender Westy with the two battery setup. My belt broke Sunday as I was leaving for church and when I replaced it on Monday the bearings are keeping all grades of noise intermittantly. Help I hope to be able to salvage the alternator without having to replace the whole thing. There is a shop arond here that sells all kinds of bearings and I hope to be able to just remove it and put more right in with no down time. Help!!! > > Ron > > > --------------------------------- > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. >