Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:42:27 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: crack in between valves,  junk?
Comments: To: James Gebhard <jamesgebhard@YAHOO.COM>

The Bentley give a spec on the size of the crack that is acceptable (I might be confusing this with the diesel). If that is true then see if your cracks are within limits and you may be able to reuse these. However I usually junk heads that have any cracks just because I want my customer's vans to go another 60-100k miles before needing more head work and the new heads are not only crack free but also superior in metalurgy and design (thicker in weak spots). I have the new heads for $475 each so I understand why you wouldn't want to go this way for a motor that you are going to be pulling in 10k miles. However if you put new heads it would be worth more for resale. Just a thought.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

James Gebhard wrote: > 86 wolfsberg westy > I'm only a carpenter/ parts changer > I pulled the right side head off today. I was cleaning it up (prep for new gaskets) and I noticed a small crack in between the valves. Is this the end of the world? If so does anyone know were I can find afordable heads? I only want to run this engine 10 to 15k and do a 2.5 subaru conversion. > > Thanks, James > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. > http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com > >