Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:15:16 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Best Tint?
Comments: To: pbrattan@gmail.com

Not so much the sliding window 'flocked' seal strips or the roll-up window inner 'squeegee' strips, but banging against metal stuff inside the doors, etc while in the process of re-installing. I have seen dirty inner seals scratch a tinted window over hundreds of uses of the window. These strips are difficult to clean properly and completely. Compressed air, then application of some silicone spray lube (NOT on the glass!) will help flocked seal strips to stay clean and lubed, preventing scratches and making operation easier for all windows. Power windows really respond well to this treatment, they go up and down faster due to less drag on the seals. To do it right, you've got to do it with the glass out so you can get to all areas of the U-channel tracks. BTW, to answer another question I read, I have a friend that does tinting, and as a favor, he obtained the last wholesale-priced big, commercial roll I bought, a few years ago. I'm not sure if that offer is still available. It was still a large chunk of change, even at wholesale, but much cheaper than retail! That stuff that's soid in a FLAPS is really crap, only comes in small lengths and is overall more expensive in comparison to what I had.

Mike B. " Then there's the very real potential for scratching your newly-tinted glass upon re-installation. "

I was wondering if the sliders would scratch the tint film after installation, during the course of normal use. The sliders in my Westy seem to be pretty tight, and there's that.....I don't know what you call it, but it looks like a narrow strip of flocking where the 2 sliders meet. Patti 90 Westy Automatic