Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:51:58 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Yahoo (and possible other) E-mail issues - NVC but List related

I belong to a tech list for other agencies within the Call Center / Answering Service community. I have been having trouble getting e-mails to some of my clients. FYI here is the response I received from an knowledgable source on the list. I just wanted to share because this has been a bit of a hot topic lately:

> *Jeff: > > Many AT&T DSL broadband Internet subscribers, whose email is typically > hosted by Yahoo, have had nothing but email trouble in recent weeks. (I > say > that as both an annoyed AT&T DSL subscriber and from having dealt with it > while trying to ensure our TAS messages are reaching clients who use AT&T > DSL Yahoo accounts.) > > AT&T and Yahoo have gone on the warpath against spam recently and are > refusing SMTP connections or eating legitimate email that AT&T and Yahoo > don't like. While I'm sure they are making a big dent in spam by doing > this, they are also blocking a lot of legitimate email at the same time. > The worst part is they often don't send "bounce" messages to senders when > this happens, and the intended recipients are not able to find the missing > messages in their Yahoo bulk email folders. Many messages just go missing. > > AT&T and Yahoo DO actually have some very skimpy new web resources you can > use to try to resolve the problems, but from what I've read, this is > pretty > tough to pursue. In some cases, I've read where some admins get their SMTP > servers whitelisted by AT&T/Yahoo only to have them blacklisted again > within > a day or two. Also, depending if you operate your own SMTP server, or > relay > through your ISP, you may have to have your ISP wrangle with AT&T and > Yahoo. > > I suggest you do some web searches to turn up the many forum topics around > the web on what AT&T and Yahoo are up to. > > I don't know anything about live.com email woes, but as a general note > many > of the biggest service providers that handle enormous quantities of email > are taking new initiatives to try to cut spam. For them, the constantly > rising cost of handling spam is so incredibly high that they are > constantly > evaluating new technology to try to contain their bandwidth, storage and > processing costs for handling email. > > The recent grief we've seen within our industry with sending email to > SMTP2SMS wireless text messaging gateways operated by Verizon Wireless is > a > great example of this. VZW is just trying to better screen spam, but their > latest techniques are causing a lot of legitimate text messages to not be > delivered via SMS. > *

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus