Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:47:07 -0700
From:         Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ladies and Vanagons
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

I was born a gearhead, having a dominant dad and an older brother. I've wanted a Harley since I was 15. My dad and brother built a dune buggy out of an old VW when I was in kindergarten and I hung out in the garage the whole time they worked on it.

I don't seem to have any useful advice to lure females into becoming interested in Transporters. In my view it is more of a lifestyle and cultural thing; it's not like camping out of your Dodge Caravan.

My story is that I was 24 when my son was born, and simply couldn't face buying the popular kid-hauler of the time, the Dodge/Chrysler minivans. They seemed stodgy and old fashioned. I had never considered VW vans before but they seemed much "cooler." Gotta be cool of course. My dad had mentioned getting a Chrysler, but I said no way and what about the VWs. So we started checking them out and first thing I know he's got a 1986 in the driveway that was a demonstrator, all broke in and he knew the service writer at our local VW dealer that had been using it. We had a blast in that van; did Monument Valley, Eastern Sierra, etc. Of course, things got out of hand. I bought the Wolfsburg the next year, my dad acquired a 1973 camper, then we found a 1974 Deluxe deadhead camper, etc.

My husband, despite misgivings and glitches, has accommodated himself to my habit. I think, however, it is easier to convert fellow gearheads than women who have had no such experiences and no interest. If I think of anything useful I'll pass it on.

Obviously not everybody likes the same things. My husband and I do like many of the same things (motorcycles are a prime example for us); however, he likes waterskiing and I don't like water. Period. I'll go in a boat but that's it. He likes hunting; doesn't interest me and I don't need to go along.

Donna, 1987 Syncro, etc.