Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:57:12 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's a good radio/CD player for the vanagon.

On 4/10/2008 8:09 AM craig cowan wrote:

> My biggest pet peve, is the fact that its so hard to find a stereo these > days with a VOLUME KNOB. everyone has gone to buttons.

Yeah, and a poxy bunch of little buttons, to boot! Half the time I manage to hit the "eject faceplate" button when all I want to do is press the attenuate button. It's a little difficult to read 5 point Agate type while driving, esp. when printed on a black face panel with gray ink.

What I'd really like is a radio with a volume knob, a tuner knob, five programmable push buttons (those of you who drove cars in the 50's or 60's see what I'm getting at) for my fave-o-rite stations, an iPod bay w/ remote, and that darn remote needs to have a power off button to shut the stupid radio off once I'm in bed. Mine just has a standby button, the front panel display stays lit and my house battery ammeter tells me that the radio is drawing 1.5 amps. So, I climb out of bed, grumbling, reach up to the dash to press the SOURCE button which also accesses the power off function . . . and the faceplate ejects.

Wrong button again.

I second the recommendation for tiltable front panel.

One thing about wiring a radio into the Vanagon: dunno about yours, but my Westy had three wires going to the two rear speakers, they shared a common ground return wire. I had to run two pair of wire to the rear to accommodate the radio's bridged outputs (two wires per speaker, all four of them "hot", no common ground). You can't connect any of them together w/o sparks. So keep that in mind when you are looking at the radio's right rear positive, right rear negative, left rear positive, and left rear negative wires in one hand and the van's right rear speaker hot, left rear speaker hot, and common return in the other.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR