Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:07:01 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Routing the antenna for a Sat. radio

I just added one to my 84..metal roof, not a westie. Stuck the magnetic antenna end right up on the center/front of the roof. Ran the wire forward, then down and used that little sticky 'wire fairing' that came with the kit to cover the wire between the round antenna and the windshield. (Just a few inches) There, I tucked it under the rubber trim, using a putty knife and a dull screwdriver to push it under the edge of the windshield rubber. Be careful with the tools.. you may break the glass, but you don't really have to push the wire that far under that molding.. I ran that wire that way, across to the passengers side door, and came around the "corner" right (out from under the window gasket onto the A-pillar) at the end of my rain gutter..Right there, I drilled a real small hole and secured the antenna wire with a little teenie wire tie. Inside the door jam, I used some brown tape..but that is probably overkill. Then I went back under the window rubber inside (A-pillar of the windshield) and again with care, buried the wire under the molding as I routed it down to the dash..At the bottom corner of the windshield, you can finess the wire behind the dash and you are home free to route it to wherever you stick the radio "head"

So, not the neatest install ever, but sheesh, it's a Vanagon and a few inches of outdoor wire exposed as it goes around the A-pillar is not stressing me out...I could probably do a better cleaner job in a full day or two, with soldering iron and drills, but I have other things to obsess on... Don Hanson