Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:10:08 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '85 GL manual - Draining old coolant
Comments: cc: phishman068@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 09/04/2008 2:10:46 P.M. Central Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

In order to fully replace the steel pipes, i believe you have to have the gas tank out, and the car jacked up REALLY high. I participated in the pulling of coolant pipes from an '85 parts van, and it was pretty tricky. It had me pretty convinced that there was no way i'd be replacing mine that way. I just cannot fathom how you would INSTALL the pipes (Ya obviously the opposite of how you took them out). With the transmission and engine in place, i could see it being tricky.

So.... I cut my pipes off with a sabre saw at different points, purchased some marine grade soft hose sections, took the "donor pipes" and cut them in their respective locations, and coupled it all together with a handful of stainless steel hose clamps. This should last me a few years, as the forward sections of my pipes have not a speck of rust on them. When it fails again, it's time for the stainless steel 2 piece pipes. It seems to me that the right pipe fails significantly faster than the left pipe. My right pipe was ready to burst (it did burst in removal), and of the 2 parts vans used to donate pipes, only 1 "good" right pipe was available. All the left pipes i've seen so far though, haven't been nearly as bad.

Therefore, the pipe sections i used to repair my rear sections, both came from "LEFT" pipes. It seems to fit fine, and i am somewhat perplexed therefore as to why they would bend the rear sections in a polarized fashion, right and left being different.

"There's always a gallon left in there......somewhere....."

Craig, I have no idea why you or anyone else would go to this much trouble to do what your doing just to have metal pipes that will eventually rust anyway !!! Just replace the whole run with 1-1/4"Green Stripe II coolant hose available from NAPA, part # 28445. Easy to install, no need to remove ANYTHING ! Just clamp the ends and tie wrap in place. I have done many vans using this hose and there are absolutely no problems. If your NAPA cannot supply this hose then I can. I get it from my local NAPA in 250 ft. rolls and always have some in stock From my _Vanagon Items Forsale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/sales.htm) , "Cooling System" section, webpage:

Hose, coolant, 1-1/4"Green Stripe II, replacement & repair of 1.9 main metal coolant pipes, 28445 - $8.95/ft.

ALSO, the best way to drain the ENTIRE coolant system is to disconnect the lower rad hose and install an old used one that has been cut in half and a T inserted and a hose connected to that T which leads to a shut off valve. You can then adjust the flow rate and collect the coolant coming out without any big mess. To evacuate the system take an old coolant tank cap and break open the valve so that you can blow air through the nipple which would go to the overflow tank. Install that cap on the main tank, install a hose to the nipple that can be connected to a controlled air supply from a compressor, open all the heater valves, open the bleed valve on the thermostat housing (2.1 models only), turn on air pressure to blow out the coolant adjusting the pressure so AS NOT TO BLOW ANYTHING, run engine briefly to make sure all liquid is out of the engine and waterpump, remove air hose, connect water hose source to the nipple and flush system with fresh water for at least 15 minutes, running engine briefly during this time, then repeat the steps above with air to remove all liquid, then refill with fresh coolant and water to specs.

Please note that I will be away from my business travelling in Mexico from November 19, 2007 until April 30, 2008. Parts orders will be processed although not as quickly as usual. I will always be available for contact by E-mail. If you phone your call will be addressed by Greg T. Brown here and he will either call you back or advise you to contact me directly by E-mail. Details of this adventure are at _Buses in Zamora_ (http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Busesinzamora/) . A Travel Blog is at: _Zamora Blog_ (http://poolio.net/zamorablog/)

Cheers,

Frank Condelli

Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2008