Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Apr 2008 05:10:27 -0700
From:         Phil Stanhope <surfmobile007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? (+ crossing the creek)

Yes they "last forever" but if you do something dumb like install Conti Vanco 8 tires and drive around town with them inflated to 55-65psi then you will prolly have to buy another steering rack every 5 years.....(its what i did) the combination of florida pot holes and Load range-D, 8-ply tires inflated to 65 psi are bad for manual steering racks in my experience.....i'll be on my 3rd used rack soon.....actually ill be buying rebuilt this time.

BTW....Conti's can safely be inflated to 100 Psi, so im not crazy, just nuts;)

Phil 84' Westy Tiico'ed in 02'