Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:05:19 -0700
From:         Brendan Slevin <totorovan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      yellow doka in hood river, yours or. . . trip to Maupin gone wild.

We were exploring north central Oregon and the Columbia Gorge this weekend, a trip to Maupin that got longer and longer. :) We saw a great yellow, syncro doka in Hood River. it was in a parking lot for some city offices I think. Anyway, was it yours? it was cool to see. Really high off the ground, I wasn't sure if that is stock or what, I don't have much experience with the doka's.

We drove to Maupin on friday after the kids got out of school. We had planned on staying at the Oasis cabins who, by the way, are hosting a VW meet in their campground on father's day weekend in June. We'd stayed there a couple years ago, pre Vanagon, and I hadn't noticed all the buses before. The guy that runs it has about 5 old bays there. The cabins are great and cheap off season/reasonable on season. We settled in and ate dinner and slept. The next day we headed down the Deschutes to Shearer's Falls and then up to White River Falls. We hiked around and then sat in the grass at the parking for White River Falls drinking a margarita for a long long time enjoying the sunshine. Today, Sunday, we were planning on headed back toward Bend by way of Shaniko, the ghost town, but since no one in Maupin was serving breakfast but the greasy spoon, we decided to go to Hood River. We made it to the Dalles and had to eat. Full bellies, we drove on down I-84 to Hood River and before we got into town we headed over the bridge to White Salmon/Bigen. I had just commented to Sommer that my friend Paul's parents live in White Salmon and joked that we should stop in and say hi, when they walked by the van. We sat and talked for a while and the headed back down across the bridge to Hood River. We explored HR for a while, hiked up the Hood River along a big water pipeline and some train tracks and then got on HWY 35 toward Mt. Hood and then on to HWY 26, 97 and Bend. Our 200 mile trip turned into 350 or so pretty fast. :) Ah the life of the Vanagon. Totoro was sooooo great the whole way. We clicked 149,000 (on the odo at least :) ) and the way home.

Brendan 1984 GL Totoro Bend, Oregon