Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:50:37 -0700
From:         Bill MacLachlan <billmacla@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      52 degree Inline 4 hydraulic lifters leaking down

Hi all... I have an 82 diesel converted to inline 4 with CIS injection about ten years ago- just before I bought the vehicle. I've just had a local VW shop install a replacement 1800cc inline motor in my van.... I believe they are a good well experienced shop.

They are having an issue with the replacement motor. If the motor is left for a few hours, apparantly there is no compression, it won't start and the mechanic is thinking this is the hydraulic lifters leaking. My old motor had hydraulic lifters ( well, at least that's what the sticker on the valve cover said and I have no reason to believe otherwise) and I never had an issue with it.

Here are some questions:

Has anyone else out there had experience with hydraulic lifters in I4 setups- when tilted at 52 degrees? Are the lifters in a waterboxer the same as the ones used in an inline4 ? Did the 82 vanagon deisel motor use hydraulic lifters? If so were they the same as the ones used in more upright deisel motors?

Is there anything I should suggest to the mechanic that would help him get this thing fixed?

btw current oil filter is a Mann - the black one - and I think they have 10-40 oil in the motor.

Thanks all

Bill M 82 I4 GL