Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:08:34 -0400
From:         Woody Halsey <WHalsey@SYA.ORG>
Subject:      more insulation questions, and lessons learned

Dear All,

First, the lessons:

1) The List is The Best. Even though my wife has absolutely no interest in my intermittent obsession, she loved the posts about persuading spouses to join the fun and embrace the mystery just as much as I did.

2) It is amazing how simple something can be when a patient person points out the little trick. Case in point: Removing the interior panel from the front doors. It's not the whole plastic assembly around the lever that pops off, JUST THE LITTLE FINGER CUP. Once that's out, and that is ridiculously easy, there's one screw and bingo. And the explanation for the vents in the doors. I am scratching my head wondering where does the air come from, when The List in its awesome combined wisdom points out that the question is where is air going to. It's an exhaust, dummy. That makes perfect sense. Or does it??? How does the spent air get out, if there is no inlet into the brolly holder? I'll have to take another look tomorrow!

Now the questions:

1) Now that I have the door cavity exposed, I want to fill it up with insulation. Do I really need to leave that exhaust vent open for exhaust, if I never use the V'gon for camping? (No matter what I put in there, I will add moisture barrier sheets of plastic.)

2) And how about the row of oval cutouts at the bottom of the rear hatch? Do they have to be respected and left open, or can I cover them up with "Peel and Seal" and/or Great Stuff when I insulate? In other words, do they serve any drainage or venting purpose? Sure doesn't look like it.

3) Are there any other spots I should NOT be cramming full of insulation? Any drain ports? Does water ever get inside the doors from around the window gaskets? I am liking the Peel and Seal and the doors and window style (not too expansive) foam, but don't want to get carried away, if there is a reason to leave some cavities open.

Woody

83.5 V'gon

Haverhill, MA