Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:09:47 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Early Westy ceiling
Comments: To: thomas LaPointe <vanagonmail@gmail.com>

You can get the original covering from Bus Depot, maybe others. I used a similarly-colored, high quality vinyl from a local upholstery shop. I did almost everything in the bus. It's a pain, but you can do it over two days. Remove rear top cabinet so you can get the long strip over the door and drop the little metal shelf on the other side to get to that. Anyway, it's a lot more removal than you think, so allow some time and have some help if you can get it... especially for that rear cabinet.

Remove the door panel.

Use a heat gun and scraper to get all the old stuff off. Sand what's left lightly. Don't use any kind of contact cement, high-temp, automotive or otherwise. Use a bucket of commercial vinyl wallpaper adhesive and follow the directions. It will never come off. I know because I used the expensive automotive adhesive and it came off in less than two years. In the meantime, I had replaced the entire ceiling of my parents' camper using the wallpaper glue. In a much harsher environment, no problems. So I redid my westy the same way. No problems.

Jim