Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:56:13 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV joint 'indicators'?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

It's also worth putting the rear up and turning each wheel by hand.

I have no experience with a bad/going bad rear wheel bearing sound/symptoms but checking for that may be something to consider.

Neil.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > Thanks, > > Correction: > It IS vehicle speed related as well as RPM-related, I guess. > There is a specific 'range' (probably about 1500-3500rpm) where the noise > is more pronounced as I accelerate away...It's just difficult to say > exactly, but it sort of sounds like the suspension goes 'all-steel' for a > few seconds as the Van rocks back onto the right rear accelerating away from > a stop..That description may be a bit 'Harsh'...it's not really that loud > (yet?) but more of a faint.."RRrr, Rrr,, rrr..rr..r..." as I pull out onto > busy highways...I have not noticed it going uphill on twisty roads or > crawling along backcountry trails. > > A quiet large paved lot is a good idea, I'll try that.. > > Don Hanson > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "neil N" <musomuso@gmail.com> > To: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@gorge.net> > Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> > Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:28 AM > Subject: Re: CV joint 'indicators'? > > > > Try driving in circles CCW and CW in a parking lot. Get a helper to > > listen out the PS window to compare notes. (which side is it coming > > from?) > > > > CV sounds should be related to vehicle speed, not RPM's. If it's > > related to RPM's, then it is likely something else. > > > > Neil. > > > > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > Maybe I'm hearing things... > > > > > > But, it seems when I accelerate away from a stop while turning left, > my 84 > > > 5sp manual makes a little extra noise from the rear area. It's an > > > RPM-related noise that increases in "tempo" as the RPMs increase. It > seems > > > to diminish, then go away as I get moving, and it only seems to occur > when > > > I'm accelerating more vigorously than I usually do.. I may be > imagining > > > that this sound seems to be slowly getting louder..There has always, > since > > > I've had the van, been a little noise..I've thought it normal for > > > vanagons...but now, since nothing has broken with my van for a few > months..I > > > am thinking it's "time" I have not ever serviced the CV joints, but I > have > > > checked the wheel bearings and re-freshed the transmission oil plus > checked > > > brake shoes, etc.. > > > Can anyone suggest a simple way to check on the condition of my CV > joints, > > > like maybe jack up and run in gear, or tug on the wheel or whatever? > > > Or should I just drive the sucker till it breaks and not worry so > much? > > > > > > Don Hanson > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > >