Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Apr 2008 04:50:34 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Running Rich
Comments: To: Aileen Boyd <aileen.boyd@GMAIL.COM>

Aileen,

You may or may not have a bad ECU. You could have a bad Temp II sensor, or maybe a bad O2 sensor. I had a brand new O2 sensor right out of the box. Disconnect the thing and run the vehicle for a bit, see how it performs with it disconnected. Your mechanic can also use a meter to test the voltages on the O2 sensor as well. Same for the Temp II sensor. I have never had a Temp II sensor go bad, but even they can be bad right out of the box. Your comment about running rich makes me suspicious of the Temp II sensor. Check to see that the hose from the crankcase vent tower over to the AFM is in good condition. I had a rough running engine one ce and found that the hose, while it looked good from the top, was in fact rotted out underneath, making a vacuum leak.

The idle stabilizer system can also cause a rough running engine, and you can trouble shoot that system by simply disconnecting the idle stabilizer and then driving to see if the engine has smoothed out.You should be able to tell quickly.

Have you changed the fuel injection hoses since you have owned this vehicle?? If not I strongly urge you to do so immediately. There are an untold number of these vans that have burned because of neglect of the FI hoses. They rot, they rub, they get holes, and spray fuel into the engine compartment and catch fire. This is something I would do without delay. I own two 88 GL's, and have had the He-double-tooth-picks scared out of me at least three times. Don't delay. This is one of the most crucial items if not THE most crucial item to take care of on a Vanagon. If you have a fire, your van is done, period. Can you afford the risk?? Ken Wilford at Vanagain.com has a nice kit for it, Ron Salmon at Bus Depot handles these hoses, and there are some other list vendors as well. I got my last kit from Ken. It comes with all the clamps and enough hose to replace all behind the firewall, as well as the little short hoses that connect the fuel injectors to the fuel rails. Again, if you have not done this replacement of FI hoses, I urge you to do it immediately - before you drive again. It is not a difficult task and you can do it yourself.

Good luck. And may you have many miles of driving pleasure with your van.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver x2 Chelsea, AL

Aileen Boyd wrote: > Hi everyone. Got some great help from some of you before, now am in a query > again. > I brought my 88' Westfalia into my trusted mechanic with a starting problem. > He was able to fix that and a few other things fairly easily: i.e. new > groundstrap, wiring, relay and helped my transmission out :) He then told me > that what I thought was an ok running Westy (I've only had it since > August-my first one) is running rich and overall poorly. He said that with > the warmer weather it has probably become worse and that is why I may not > have noticed strongly. I know that it has very low horsepower and idles a > bit strange sometime and smells like it is running rich occassionally. He > said he is a bit confused as to why, as it could be a number of things, and > can run fine for a few minutes blow some black smoke and then go down the > tubes again. He is suggesting but hoping it is not the ECU. If it is do I > have to replace it or can it be refurbished? Also, I have read a bit about > the wiring harness that has helped "Vanagon Intermitten Syndrome". Anyone > else know? Background: I replaced the o2 sensor, cat converter, and muff in > Nov. Also new battery, fuel and air filter. 88' Westfalia, Automatic, > 138,000 miles. Previous owners apparently didn't know how to do even basic > matienance on any car let alone this one. Thankfully the first owners did > and salvaged many good things. > Thanks in advance! > > Aileen > > -- > If not Peace, then Justice..... > > >