Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:09:47 -0400
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: "yawn" Another (trivial) Jetta conversion Fuel Pump relay
              question.... ;^)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Sorry to insult your intelligence:)

I assume the Bentley you are using is for the MK3. I don't have that one.

You got me curious now though. Maybe it limits current going through the coil.

It's been a long time since I popped a relay cover off, I may have to dissect a spare in the garage now.

mmm.... nope

:^)

What I saw is certainly a resistor. Got the colour bands on it.

It would be hard to take a pic of. Maybe I could get a shot of the diagram on the housing.

I wish I could recall what little I learned of electricity when I was younger, but I know for sure there's a difference between a resistor in series within a circuit, and one in parallel. Why it's there I don't know.

Neil.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM, pdooley <psdooley@verizon.net> wrote: > Neil, > Relays activate when a low current electromagnetic coil is energized. > The coil then closes the contacts of a switch. > The switch has heavy contacts and carries high current on the circuit with > the heavy gauge wires. > The little thing that you think is a resistor is the coil. > > The standard VW numbering system for relays lists the low current circuit > with the coil as pins 85 and 86. > The current carrying circuit is 30 and 87. > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > neil N > Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 9:25 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: "yawn" Another (trivial) Jetta conversion Fuel Pump relay > question.... ;^) > > Hey guys. > > My conversion now starts and runs. There were several problems why it > didn't run before. I'll report these to the list later. > > One thing I had to do, was run a jumper between 30 and 86 on FP relay. > In Bentley, it shows an internal connection doing the same (though > there's no "86" shown): > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/FPrelaydiagram.jpg/FPrelaydiagram-full.jpg > > Interesting. But there are about 3-4 different relay model numbers > listed that are used in the '93 - '99 Golf/Jetta. Maybe some had that > internal connection. > > My potentially trivial quesiton: > > In diagram on fuel pump relay, there is an icon between 85 and 86. I > looked inside and there was a resistor. > > Why is that resistor there? > > Just curious, > > Neil. > > > -- > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > >