Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Apr 2008 01:56:10 -0400
From:         Bill Glenn <idahobill@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: tube bumpers/bull bars

on phil lander's syncro: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm

BenT provided the above link to Phil Lander's site; if you're interested in the bull bar, be sure to scroll down to "Click here for more syncro...", and on the next page is "Roo Bar Information", including a drawing with measurements.

Having spent almost two years in total over the past eight years traveling Australia, I am well-acquainted with bull bars/'roo bars (same thing), and when I found this drawing a few years ago, I made a crude mock-up of this design in wood to determine whether I wanted to make one for my syncro.

Here's why I decided against it. Phil's design is a good one for what it's for, avoiding damage to the front of the van resulting from a collision with a kangaroo, a not infrequent occurance in OZ. While the biggest male kangaroos can stand six feet tall and weight between 140 and 185 lbs (depending on the species), one is more likely to encounter much smaller kangaroos, for which the 'roo bar is ideally suited.

In the U.S. the deer is the most likely animal to be encountered on the road, and in some places, such as Idaho where I live, elk also pose a hazard at times. These animals have a high center of gravity, and if you are unlucky enough to hit one full on, as opposed to a glancing blow, there is a fair chance of knocking its legs out from under it and having the body slam into your windshield; if you're really unlucky, the animal will be in your lap. Thus, while a 'roo bar may protect the radiator from damage, it may well be too short to protect the occupants of the front seats from intruding cervids.

What I would find much more useful where I go, is a brush guard on front to protect against tree branches that have overgrown the narrow roads I encounter.