Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:51:52 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 Westy cranking trouble
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net>

Gold info man!

I might add, that I found DeOxit to be an *awesome* contact cleaner. There is another product a list member kindly mentioned to me: Rid-ox. It may very similar, or the same.

And thanks for clarifying Mark. One of my posts may have been misleading.

I quoted from the "newer" version of '86 Digifant wiring.

It shows a "keyed" (from 15) black/white wire from coil to "Digijet Control Unit Relay". If I'm not mistaken, power from this wire energizes the relay electromagnetic coil of this relay.

But...... I just noticed that they labeled this relay Digijet, but the control unit is Digifant !!

Yikes! Bentley '86 wiring diagram shenanigans! --- ;^)

Neil.

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > As Neil pointed out, there are 2 very different wiring diagrams for 86. > It sound like you have the early version of that wiring. What are the > last 8 digits of your vin# ? > > The 2 engine relays are mislabeled in the wiring diagram for the early > 86!!! This is clear from the fact that the one labeled "fuel pump relay" > is not the one that connects to the fuel pump wiring! > > The relay mislabeled "fuel pump" is really the "power relay" that > supplies everything in the early 86 model. > > Don't worry about relay socket 2 of the main fuse panel, it is empty for > waterboxers. Also, realize that the green wires to/from the coil are for > ignition pulses not power. > > Your use of a jumper wire to test and bypass is a great approach. You > are very close to fixing this I'd guess. > > You are not the first on this list to have a problem in the wiring of > the black twin relay box. Try unplugging the connector to the outside of > the twin relay box. Look closely at both sides of the connectors, clean > if needed and plug back in. It may be as simple as this. > > Power on from the key comes to the engine compartment on a black wire. > On the early diagram there is a labeling error and this wire is labeled > "sw" which is German for black. This error is on page 97.72, top right > at connection pin D15. That is power on from the key which then turns on > the "power relay" which is wrongly labeled "fuel pump relay". > > Again, most of the above is for the early 86 diagram and the wiring in > this area changed drastically after a few months of production. The > later engine harness wiring is simpler and improved. > > Mark > > > > > > > > > > Dan Hall wrote: > > > I have an '86 Westy Weekender, Wolfsburg edition---pop-top but no > > kitchen. > > > > In the past several weeks, I've had a mysterious, intermittent > > starting problem. The starter works and the engine turns over fine > > but won't crank. > > > > The fuel relays and, thusly, the fuel pump were not cycling when I > > turned the ignition switch. > > > > I discovered that if I lightly tapped on the fuel relay box above the > > coil with the key switched on, the relays would click on and the fuel > > pump would cycle and I'd start it up and off I'd go. > > Thinking it was bad relays, I bought replacements. That solved nothing. > > I've since bench tested the relays and they work fine. > > > > The big red wires that supply constant current to the fuel relays have > > 12 volts. > > > > There is a black/yellow wire that runs from the fuel relay to the > > coil. The Bentley says this wire is Black/White but mine is black/ > > yellow. With the ignition switch on, I only had 5 to 6 volts on this > > wire. Tap the relay with power on and the relays work, fuel pump > > cycles. Then, I tried to start the van as usual after and it turned > > over fine but would not start. Now, that same black/yellow wire shows > > only 1.2 volts. The relays will not work, even with tapping. > > I plugged in a borrowed Digifant ECU but that did not help the > > situation. I put the old ECU back in. > > > > I ran a jumper wire with 12 volts to that black/yellow wire on the > > coil and the relays and fuel pump all worked nomially. > > > > I had a spare ignition switch and tried that but no joy. > > > > I've studied the wiring diagrams of the Bentley til I'm cross-eyed. > > > > Where does the coil get its voltage supply? > > ----My Bentley shows from a relay in the 2 position on the panel next > > to the fuses in the wiring diagrams but not in the legend of the same > > pages. And I've never had a relay in the 2 postion. > > -----I tested the resistance of the coil and it seems within > > specifications. > > > > What voltage should I have on poles 1 and 15 on the coil with the > > ignition turned on? > > > > I have thought about leaving the 12 volt jumper wire hooked up the > > coil and then try starting it but am holding off til I hear from the > > List. > > > > Any help, advice, guesses would be appreciated. > > > > Dan Hall > > '86 Westy Wolfsburg Weekender > > "Das Boot" > > > > >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco"

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/