Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:53:43 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bypass, Transistor, Potable water tank pump circuit
Comments: To: Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>

You only need to fool with one wire. I don't remember exactly but yellow sounds right. The led panel always has 12 volts so the leds can work. Only one wire goes from the older led panel to the faucet/pump. It carries 12 volts but only when the transistor lets it. In theory the transistor only lets it when the panel thinks there is water in the tank. All you need to do is connect the wire that sometimes carries 12 volts to the pump/faucet to a source that is always 12 volts. This is easily done various ways but one leg of the transistor always has 12 volts so unsoldering the wire from the output leg of the transistor and soldering it to the leg that always has 12 volts will make it so the faucet/pump always has 12 volts available.

The white wire is only used in fridges that have full support for the pilot flame led. Early fridges have a little flame on gauge inside the fridge and these don't have the extra wire needed to run the pilot led. Early panels don't have a flame led visible though many of them have the led it's just bent over hidden behind the metal cover.

Mark crazy Vanagon man who has worked on too many variations

Neil2 wrote: > Hey volks, > > I've heard/read repeatedly that bypassing the transistor on the circuit > board on the stove front will eliminate pump op problems but cannot > determine exactly how to do so. Please give details if you've done this. > > I've searched and searched the archives here and on Samba and can't seem to > determine exactly how. It appears the yellow and black leads on the > board are both connected to the can (transistor). Those match the colors of > the leads that actually power the pump. I was about to disconnect and short > together the yellow and black leads (bypassing the can?) but am afraid of > disabling more than I intend. > > Also, there's a white lead (on one side only) of the harness connector that > leads to the circuit board. Someone please identify the function of this > white lead. > > > Thanks! > > -- > Neil > '82 Diesel Westy > Me other car is Swedish >