Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:40:38 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 12 volt to the Reefer fan, etc.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net>

While that would work I'd rather find a harness or line closer to the fridge itself. Since there's an empty slot in the harness connector which leads to the Display Unit on the stove front, I've considered using that slot for a spade connector which would pass on to the rear of the circuit board and terminate on one of the 12v tracks. I'll need to buy a new soldering iron to do that, and solder, and flux, and flux remover and and and. Would rather siphon off some 12v elsewhere.

Since that was so easy I'll move on other questions which should be more difficult: I've not read anywhere in the archives about which location to pass the 12v wire inside to power the proposed circulation fan from the fridge's side/rear. The harness I'd like to use was above and behind the fridge before I fished it out and disconnected it. I'd rather not remove me fridge from the wall to plumb this new line to the fan unless it's easy.

Where's the best place to bring a 12v line into the fridge? One bloke just ran it inside the door! Doesn't seem High German enough for moi.

Is it very diffcult to remove the fridge? How to?

Also, since the fridge runs on 12v, will I find a better source for the fan supply if I pull the fridge out before I begin?

Thanks!

On 4/21/08, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > Hey well, take a lead off the starter supply, put a fuse near where you > come off that circuit and then run the wire (big fat one) alongside the > frame rail and up through the floor. Then put a fuse block inside so that > when you want to hook up another electrical widget from there you will have > an empty terminal. You can get big power off the starter circuit without > fear... > Don Hanson > > ----- Original Message ----- > *From:* Neil2 <vidublu@gmail.com> > *To:* Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> > *Sent:* Monday, April 21, 2008 12:30 PM > *Subject:* Re: 12 volt to the Reefer fan, etc. > > > I was askeered you'd mention an aux battery. The upside of me van is the > PO's didn't put much use on the utilities. The downside is they didn't need > to install an aux. I don't have one and am reticent to install one, at this > point. > > Guess I'll just poke around with me VOM until I find a 12 volt harness > connector and trace it out to ensure the circuit isn't to overloaded as is. > > > On 4/21/08, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > > > Neil, > > The way I did it in my 84 when I added the interior and I needed power > > back there was: I took it from the spare battery direct. The spare > > battery resides under the drivers seat. I ran a big fat line off the > > battery with a big fuse right there at the battery, in the compartment. > > Ran that fused supply line through a hole drilled into the pedestal of > > the > > seat so that it ended up inside the cabinet under the sink. Then, on > > the > > front wall of that cabinet inside, I wired in a circuit breaker/fuse > > block > > that I got from one of the racer supply houses online. Has about 6 > > fused > > circuits available for all the powered camping stuff and power outlets > > that > > I have in my camper. Makes them all run off the Aux battery (Isolated > > from > > the vehicle batt by a big relay) so I don't wake up to a flat starter > > battery. Each of those circuits, from the 'gang-terminal' is fused at > > that > > block, too.. > > > > > > -- > Neil > '82 Diesel Westy > Me other car is Swedish > >

-- Neil '82 Diesel Westy Me other car is Swedish