Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:56:36 -0400
From:         Gerry Lepage <vanagonstretch@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus won't start after winter storage
Comments: To: mdrillock@cox.net

Thanks Mark,

Those are the 2 relays I replaced. I will check that after work tommorow and will advise.

Gerry

---- Original Message ---- From: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> To: vanagonstretch@AOL.COM Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:46 pm Subject: Re: Bus won't start after winter storage

How about in the twin relay box in the engine compartment? Open it and put a finger on each of the relays. Every time the key is turned on the relays should click. Do they?? ? a.If so and you really don't have power at the fuel pump each time the key is turned on then test the power supply post in the engine compartment wiring box. This is the true source of power for the fuel pump and ECU. It should have +12v power at all times no matter what position the key is in. Does it?? ? b.If the relays don't click each time the key is turned on you should test for +12 volts at the black wires plugged into one side of the coil. There should be 2 of them, one slightly larger than the other. Put a volt meter between them and ground. You should get +12v whenever the key is on. Do you?? ? Mark? ? Gerry Lepage wrote:? > Yes, sorry I didn't clarify. I tested for power at the fuel pump while my wife turned the key as there was no noise or vibrations coming from fuel pump when key was turned.? > > ---- Original Message ----? > From: Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>? > To: vanagonstretch@AOL.COM? > Sent: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 9:41 pm? > Subject: Re: Bus won't start after winter storage? > > > Gerry,?? > ?? > When you first turn on the key, do you hear (listen for it) the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds? After that couple of seconds, voltage to the pump is shut off until you start cranking the engine. Pulses from the Hall sender in the distributor tell the ECU that the engine is turning which will, in turn, pulse the pump.?? > ?? > Like I said, except for that first couple of seconds, there will be no voltage at the pump unless the engine is turning.?? > ?? > Mike?? > ?? > ?? > Gerry Lepage wrote:?? >> First of all this is a 91 manual with a stock 2.1.?? >> I charged the battery and tried starting my bus after a long winter storage. To my surprise... it turns over but will not start. It normally fires right up. Checked for voltage on the fuel pump and found nothing. Replaced the fuel pump relay and the other one beside it and still nothing. Had a spare ecu in the closet so I replaced that too figuring it may of gotten damaged while charging the battery but again nothing. Ran out of daylight and ideas. Anyone know what to try next??? >>> Cheers, Gerry?? >> www.vanalong.com?? >>> ________________________________________________________________________?? >> Need a free e-mail account? Get one now at Mail.AOL.ca?? >>? > > ________________________________________________________________________? > Need a free e-mail account? Get one now at Mail.AOL.ca? >