Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:07:07 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: MPG redux
Comments: To: mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>

No! The Syncro is a bit of a pig as compared to both the 4 speed and even the automatic. Auto honest 17-18 and a base 4 speed will do close to 20 or more. The 1.9L is even better than the 2.1L. When I had my 84 I used to be able to do 21 or better and I drive a bit fast. My Syncro 7 passenger does a little better than my Syncro Westy but the engine has 120K less miles on it.

Dennis

Did the Syncro have the same fuel economy numbers as the 2WD? I also can't imagine that you folks with your laden Westies are getting the same efficiency as me with my virtually empty Carat. I am sure in my case that experiences with 18+ mpg is delusional. It's a delusion caused by a fuel sender and gauge that isn't remotely accurate.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net> Date: Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM Subject: Re: MPG redux To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com

Possible, but are they running in a lean condition and doing more harm than good? A sort of false economy of sorts. Shorter than stock tires will generate more miles on the odometer than are really traveled thereby skewing the mpg to the high side as well. An incomplete filling of the tank would skew to the upside as well. Filling the tank to the very top is wasteful anyway, so how do we accurately document MPG?

Driving at 55mph, although boring, is perhaps a way to get a 2 in the tens column. I've gotten 20+maybe 3 or 4 times in 11 years of driving a Vanagon,but the norm is 15-17. There's a good website on how to drive economically called hypermiling or something like that. www.cleanmpg.com/forums They're more into attacking the EPA method of determining MPG ratings for new cars, but there's some useful as well as unsafe practices as well.

I guess I look at it this way; if I'm not making $3-400 a month payments on a vehicle I can't afford to fill the tank up with gas in the first place, then driving a paid for Vanagon with "poor" mpg ratings will just have to do for now. Anybody done the math on how long it will take for a Prius to pay for itself in gas savings? I guess if they ever start rationing gas again, maybe it will matter. Geeeeeee. Gas Rationing....there's something we haven't heard in a while. Wouldn't we be rationing it if it were in short supply? No, it's just costing more.

Time to dismantle the soapbox. I need the wood for burning in my stove.

DM&FS