Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:32:16 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      vanagons as a way to save money...

Somewhat editorial post..

In Nov. of '07, I was contemplating a way to justify leaving for warmer climates. The Northwest is wonderful during most of the year, but in my part of it, a few of the winter months are very wet, gray and depressing, so we try to head out. This past winter, my S.O. took a job in the California desert, hoping to free up her summer by working hard all winter and saving the bucks. Her employer mentioned he needed a carpenter, part time...so I tossed some tools into my Van and headed out, hoping to at least pay for my fuel by pounding a few nails for this guy. But then I also did some math on some of our anticipated expenses: We both needed eye exams, I knew I needed new prescription glasses and also some further dental work. Doing the math showed me that I could bank about $400 by going into Mexico to have this health care done...That is, I saved enough by going down there in the van, spending about 4 months camping and then driving home with all the health care done and $400 left over! I also worked for about 2 months down there. I hope to not have to work this summer up here using the money I made while on my expenses paid vanagon outing..

So really, if you use your Vanagon wisely, you can save a bunch of cash and even make some money.. Roughly, we saved about $1500 this year by getting our glasses (four pairs and two eye exams) and dentistry done across the border..It cost me about $600 coming and going. I had a couple of months of enjoyable desert free time and fun camping and riding my bike. We shut off the power to the house here, put the phones on vacation rate and had some fun in the vanagon..Well, Marie, my SO also has a camp trailer that she leaves down there, so it wasn't all Vanagon, but still..

Off topic, for the most part, but the versatility and economy of the Vanagon makes an extended "on the road" lifestyle easy to pull off, that is on topic. Don Hanson