Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:03:42 -0400
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas, milage, etc (was  Air Engine)
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

>> Somehow though .........if the price of a barrel of oil goes back down, say 30 % ..........I doubt the pump price per gallon will also go down that much. <<

Oh you can be sure of that. What worries me though is if it stays flat again for too long or decreases the US will go back to it's old ways again. We're very predictable.

If gas had stayed high in the 1980's I'll bet the '86 Vanagon would never have even gotten that 2.1 liter motor. They'd have found ways to make the 1.9 generate more HP with the same MPG and even build more (and a little more powerful) diesels.

>> Another bottom line - Americans that can afford to spend a few hundred a month on gas - don't mind spending it, and are not very concerened about the environment or the long term overall picture of the supply and costs of energy. Live for today, worry about it tomorrow if things go south, so to speak. Be interesting to see what happens. <<

Those people will not run out and buy a SmartCar (neither would I) BUT gas IS high enough to make them at least LOOK at the MPG of the car they are about to buy. Maybe they will pass on the optional V8 and get a six. I dunno.

Bryan