Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:18:12 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas, milage, etc (was Air Engine)
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

I know this fuel thing is disturbing to everyone, and we can all see how it can wreck the economy. But the thing that really gets my goat is that back in the day - Jimmy Carter got the country on the right track. He saw what was coming back then, and got us going in the right direction towards conservation of energy. He started many energy programs and had them up and running by the end of his term in office. I was actively engaged in business at the time, along with others in my area, that was tied to the energy conservation programs Carter instituted. Building energy efficient homes, manufacturing solar panels, doing contract construction work installing solar systems on federal and state buildings, and on military bases. The environmental movement was going strong and growing. Lots of restrictions were imposed on Corporate America forcing a cleanup of their act. It cut into corporate profits and they couldn't stand it. The president of the National Chamber of Commerce remarked and their annual meeting -" Corporate America must get control again for the sake of our companies and shareholders". They wanted a man as President who was a corporate player. Enter Ronald Reagan. After Reagan was elected, almost the next day he killed virtually all the conservation programs Carter had put in place, and Corporate America once again bent the American Public over the end of the bed and had it's way with us, and has ever since. WE have had one major corporate scandal after another and people walk away with millions, and the little guy in the street is stuck with the bill. The current flap over the sub-prime housing disaster is only the latest in a series - and what are the powers that be doing about this? They are discussing a bail-out of these poor investments using tax payer dollars to do it. That is- take money from our pockets to bail out the rich lenders that got their fingers burned. We were doing OK until Reagan came into office, and from them on, it was Republicans, bBig Oil, and Corporate America having a me'nage de troi in the bed together. And here we are today, in the biggest financial mess ever. Trillions of dollars in debt, and getting worse daily, fighting a war where we probably should not be, and doing it on borrowed money, and at the same time giving out tax cuts. Our manufacturing jobs have left the country, and because of our financial situaltion the dollar has slid way down in the financial markets, and since Oil is traded internationally in the American Dollar, and our currency has lost value in world markets, we are having to pay more for that oil because our dollar isn't worth as much anymore. Eight years of Reagan, then 12 years of the two Bushes has just about brought us to the brink of ruin. Clinton, while I didn't like the man, did reduce the deficit dramatically. If we do not get a president with the courage to buck corporate America and/ or the Republican party we are in deep trouble, and the price of oil will not come down.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Mark Drillock wrote: > The article was somewhat right. Prices fell shortly after that was > written, rose and then fell way back again. The current massive price > spike came later. > > Vanagons get better MPG than many less useful vehicles. I can't see > prices getting so high that I would stop driving mine when I needed it. > I have cut back some and I may look for something with way better MPG if > this keeps up. > > Mark > > > > Bernie wrote: >> Regarding the price of oil. >> One analysis ........read about this in the Wall Street Journal........ >> It's recognized that the price of oil is on a Bubble curve now......a >> very >> very servere bubble - and in all speculative markets, like real estate , >> perfect example...........when prices keep going up and up .....the >> bubble >> affect, eventually it collapses. >> This one analyst was saying oil will be back down to 80 a barrel by late >> summer ( it hit a mid-day high of $ 117 per barrel recently ) >> ...........another guy said 50 a barrel, though that's hard to imagine. >> >> >> Just doing a google for WSJ and price of oil bubble and I get an article >> written >> in Oct 2005 and oil is 70 dollars a barrel and they are saying relax >> it's a >> bubble >> it will never stay there. >> Guess what it didn't stay there it moved to 117! >> Oil production has peaked and we use more than we find everyday. >> Yes there is some "hot" money in the oil market but longterm the price >> is headed only one way and that ain't down. >> China and India will pickup any slowing demand in North America. >> >> >> Bernie >> Vancouver >> > >