Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:36 -0500
From:         Dan Hall <elektro@WESTAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 86 hot temp gauge---was  '86 Westy cranking trouble

Borrowed three meat thermometers out of the kitchen drawer and opened up the expansion tank and stuck 'em in, catching the overflow in a tin pan. Van had been sitting overnight, so temp was ambient and not yet registering on the thermometers. Voltage on the yellow/red wire from the coolant temp sender shows 9.6 volts. Should it have shown 12 volts?

Cranked the van and allowed to idle.

The needle on the coolant temp gauge began moving after a couple of minutes. All 3 gauges were in rough agreement, margin of error a degree or two. after a few mintues. Results below:

Volts Gauge Temperature 8.0 bottom of big white stripe 140 degrees F 7.1 top of big white stripe 158 degrees F 6.2 center of LED on gauge 185 degrees F 5.2 halfway between LED and top hash 210 degrees F-------1st stage radiator fan came on seconds after I took the reading. Ran a minute or two then cycled off. mark on gauge

I'd expected the voltage to rise as the sensor heated and resistance dropped and needle moved warmer on the gauge.

Or is it that as the resistance drops, more of a load is on the sensor so voltage drops?

If I am supposed to have 12 volts when I start the van cold, and voltage drops as engine warms, then does it not stand to reason that since my voltage is only 9.6 at start up the gauge is not getting proper voltage throughout the range and thusly is indicating abnormally high?

Is there a normal operating temperature to look for when driving on flat/rolling ground with outside air temps in the low 80's(today in West Alabama)?

And since the brown wire travels over to meet brown wires on the license plate lite, I wonder if cleaning up those contacts/grounds might resolve this.

Dan