Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:04:38 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Overdrive, fuel efficiency,  etc.  Friday..Iittle Van content.

I'm dating myself but in the '60s vehicles with overdrive were the ride of choice for us California surfers. There were no 'swell forecasting' internet sites, so we spent lots of time on the road looking for surf. My first surf wagon was a '51 Ford Woodie wagon, flat head V8 with an overdrive tranny that got over 25 mpg, going up and down what was Hwy 101, looking for surf. These ancient vehicles were getting the same gas mileage as current cars and they were built over 55 years ago! Our all time best mileage vehicle was a 53 Buick straight eight with overdrive, owned by one of my buddies. That one would take us from Seal Beach to the Trestle (camp Pendleton) and back on just under a dollar and a half of gas money..We'd get it rolling through South Laguna and kick it up into neutral at Dana Point then coast all the way to Doheny beach.. I traded my Ford 'Woodie' for a 56 Chev with overdrive and no backseat..That one got 26mpg. My dad's car was a 55 ford wagon with overdrive and a V8 (22mpg) . That technology worked for much better fuel economy back then and probably still would today. A lot of vehicles had overdrive in the 50s and 60s. It, overdrive, will probably re-appear, when the gas supply starts to run right out. If you are paying attention, you will have noticed some Japanese car makers are actually advertising fuel efficient cars recently. Now that the market 'sucks' for fuel hogs, they've started touting "50mpg.." etc rather than "how many train cars their full size pickup can tow" They will build whatever they need to to make the best profit. "Green" ads are big, too. Appealing to the wealthy who can afford to pay for a hybrid vehicle.. An interesting side note on Europe: I was watching the Paris Roubaix bicycle race recently, a huge event drawing giant crowds out to the countryside to party and watch the cyclists and I noticed the European RVs are all small. About 20% of the size of what we see on the roads of America. I didn't see one that looked to be over about 20' (6 meters) long. I didn't see many Vanagons, but there were lots of Eurovans and whatever the Sprinter is copied from. Don Hanson